Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Sheriff: Boys shot multiple times; father called friend after shooting

Sheriff: Boys shot multiple times; father called friend after shooting

  • Updated
  • 0

On Monday, a day after a shooting left two young boys dead, authorities revealed the boys were shot multiple times moments before their father, Shawn Fuller, called a friend and said he had killed them.

Iredell Sheriff Darren Campbell said Fuller, 31, talked on the phone with a friend moments after shooting his 3-year-old son, Josiah, and 4-year-old, Uriah, around 3:30 a.m. Sunday. “He told the friend he’d shot and killed his kids and was going to kill law enforcement,” Campbell said Monday.

Fuller didn’t fire at law enforcement. Instead, he shot himself in the head with a gun belonging to his wife, Bianca, Campbell said.

The shooting apparently occurred after a night of drinking at the family’s rental home on Trent Road.

Around 3:37 a.m., two 911 calls were placed within a short period of time – one from Fuller’s brother and the other from his wife. In both instances, Campbell said, Fuller’s brother and wife said he was intoxicated and firing shots outside of the house.

Campbell said deputies arrived within six minutes of the call placed by Fuller’s brother but heard no shots. “There were no shots after the 911 calls were placed,” he said.

Deputies found Fuller in the front yard with a self-inflicted gunshot wound, Campbell said. The deputies went inside and found the two boys, still clad in bedtime clothing, on the living room floor. Both had been shot multiple times, Campbell said. Autopsies on both boys were to be conducted Monday.

Campbell said Bianca Fuller fled the home to seek help after her husband assaulted her. The brother, who lived with the couple, left earlier to spend the night at a neighbor’s house, Campbell said. It was at the neighbor’s house that he heard the gunshots and placed the 911 call, he said.

Campbell said that while initial records checks indicated there were no previous calls of a domestic nature involving the couple, an in-depth check Monday revealed a call in April. He said the call involved a verbal argument and no charges were filed. The sheriff’s office responded to the home two other times while the Fullers, who moved in around the end of 2014, lived in the house, Campbell said.

One call was a report of a breaking and entering in which the Fullers were the victims. The other was a report of a suspicious person in the area.

Fuller has no criminal record in North Carolina but did plead guilty to disorderly conduct in Chenango County, N.Y. in 2006. That charge, records indicate, was a reduction from the initial charge of acting in a manner to injure a child under 17.

Campbell said alcohol does appear to be a factor, but there were no signs of any drugs on the premises. Detectives will be issuing search warrants to obtain toxicology results for Fuller, who is still in critical condition at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte.

Campbell said Fuller will be charged if he survives. “We are going to take out murder warrants today. If he survives he’s going to have two counts of murder waiting on him,” he said.

A crowdfunding page has been established to help with the funeral expenses for the two boys. That page is . The account raised nearly $900 in the first hour it was established. A goal of $15,000 is listed on the page.

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


Breaking News

News Alert